Since I am writing about a historical, well-researched site which I have limited knowledge about, I will begin by acknowledging this fact. Whatever I will put here, I have seen at my small trip to the beautiful Modhera Sun Temple. I have verified the things I am putting up from the internet.
Mythologically, Modhera is the place where Lord Ram performed his penance for Brahmahatya (Ravana).
Scientifically, it is the location of passing of Tropic of Cancer, it is perfect for study of movement of the Sun (The Earth.)
Managed by ASI, the temple complex also has a small museum showing independant structures which fell off or were pillaged from the main temple.
The main structures of the complex
1. Surya Kund
2. Sabha Mandap
3, Guda Mandap with a Sanctum Sanctorum
4. A small temple withing the precints.
It was attacked and pillaged by Mahmud Ghazni who carried off most of the valuables and his attack impacted the structures too.
The 'Surya Kund', reminiscent of the famous step wells of Western India was a site of ritual ablutions. The secondary steps in pairs reminds of the Rani ki vav at Patan. It is famed to have had 108 installations of god-goddesses, a number which holds special significance in religion, spirituality, mythology and even martial arts. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_(number))
Further readings.
http://www.ignca.nic.in/nl002206.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Temple,_Modhera
http://www.thehindu.com/features/metroplus/travel/the-sculpted-magnificence-of-the-sun-temple-of-modhera/article6643420.ece
Endless Modhera
The Sun Temple built in 11th century, is not just about religion but also about Science.The location 'Modhera',is a surprise because why would some one leave the grandeur of Patan and Somnath to choose this unknown location. The reason is twofold.Mythologically, Modhera is the place where Lord Ram performed his penance for Brahmahatya (Ravana).
Scientifically, it is the location of passing of Tropic of Cancer, it is perfect for study of movement of the Sun (The Earth.)
Managed by ASI, the temple complex also has a small museum showing independant structures which fell off or were pillaged from the main temple.
The main structures of the complex
1. Surya Kund
2. Sabha Mandap
3, Guda Mandap with a Sanctum Sanctorum
4. A small temple withing the precints.
It was attacked and pillaged by Mahmud Ghazni who carried off most of the valuables and his attack impacted the structures too.
The Surya Kund
![]() |
| Image.1. Sunbathing at Surya Kund |
The Sabha Mandap
Crossing, the two Toranas, one enters the Sabha Mandap. The interior and the exterior are both profusely carved and it may take at least a month of committed study to get a true picture of this detailing.
But what struck me was the fact there are 52 pillars symbolizing 52 weeks of the year.
But what struck me was the fact there are 52 pillars symbolizing 52 weeks of the year.
The Guda Mandap
The Guda Mandap is full of carvings and it's walls (both exterior and interior) are a storyteller's paradise. No worship is performed her anymore and yet the pious visitors all removed their shoes before stepping in.
The most special feature viz. the sanctum is now sealed off. But the stories about the golden statue of Surya on seven horses in a pit of gold coins inflames one's imagination. The sunlight falls on sanctum twice a year, on equinoxes due to it's being placed on the tropic. The generic pradakshina patha is seen too.
The most special feature viz. the sanctum is now sealed off. But the stories about the golden statue of Surya on seven horses in a pit of gold coins inflames one's imagination. The sunlight falls on sanctum twice a year, on equinoxes due to it's being placed on the tropic. The generic pradakshina patha is seen too.
The Small Temple
There is a small temple outside the main structure. A striking feature in this is that a subsidiary image of Hanuman is seen in which he is flying without the parbat and is blessing the devotees with his free hand.
Some interesting images..
1. Birth.
Located outside the Guda Mandap.
![]() |
| A Scene showing a birth of a Child |
2. Death.
![]() |
| Being carried away for cremation |
3. Garba
Behind the Guda Mandap, dances and revelry.
![]() |
| Dancing in Joy |
4. Roof of Guda Mandap.
An inverted Lotus pattern
![]() |
| ROOF |
5. Vishnu and Parvati
Located outside the Guda Mandap.
![]() |
| Shesha shayi vishnu |
7. Vishwakarma - Carpenter/architect
He is seen with a scale, he has the credit of designing and planning Dwarka
![]() |
| Vishwakarma |
8. Headdress
9. Keechaka
The Mythological story about how Bhima slayed this nuisance causing monster.
1O. Mythical Scene
11. Vyala
A fantastic solar symbolic animal, it portrays the victory of spirit over matter
Further readings.
http://www.ignca.nic.in/nl002206.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Temple,_Modhera
http://www.thehindu.com/features/metroplus/travel/the-sculpted-magnificence-of-the-sun-temple-of-modhera/article6643420.ece











Nice pictures, and lovely descriptions
ReplyDeleteThanks Vishal :)
DeletePictures were good.The idea of giving information with them is also nice.
ReplyDeleteBut you have not included the image of entire temple.There are so many fascinating sculptures at Modhera,like Agni,Surya,Varun,Bhairava,Jagdamba,Chamunda etc.
Do include such prominent photos hereafter.It would certainly make your blog more beautiful,interesting & enriching.
Lot of appreciation from my side.Keep it up.
Thank you Dada! I will surely make it a point henceforth. There was so much information available! I could barely catch 0.1%. And I have 2 photos in which I'm not able identify the deity. My guess is Kubera or Surya.. or Yama.. I'm sure you can solve this mystery for me.
DeleteThank you Dada! I will surely make it a point henceforth. There was so much information available! I could barely catch 0.1%. And I have 2 photos in which I'm not able identify the deity. My guess is Kubera or Surya.. or Yama.. I'm sure you can solve this mystery for me.
DeleteThank you Dada! I will surely make it a point henceforth. There was so much information available! I could barely catch 0.1%. And I have 2 photos in which I'm not able identify the deity. My guess is Kubera or Surya.. or Yama.. I'm sure you can solve this mystery for me.
Delete